Even a very clean house can have an unpleasant odor. A number of factors contribute to this problem and they are as varied as the people living in the home.
The bottom line is that everyday life and even the recent trend of building energy-efficient homes simply compromise the availability of fresh air. Even cooking dinner for your family may leave scents in the air that start out smelling delicious and end up smelling terrible. We want our homes to have fewer odors, cleaner air, and to smell appealing when visitors walk through the front door.
If you are connected to the outside world in any way, you are certainly aware that there are thousands of products on the market that claim to eliminate unpleasant odors from your home. The number of deodorizers, incense products, candles, and sprays is staggering. Unfortunately, many of these products simply mask odors rather than eliminate them completely.
It’s also important to note that most household air fresheners are not required to list all of their ingredients. This makes it difficult to determine the product’s safety, in terms of toxicity, or to accurately assess its odor-eliminating effectiveness compared to other products.
When choosing odor-eliminating products, keep in mind that those with a higher acidity are better odor eliminators. On the pH scale, smelly odors are usually alkaline. Acidity acts as a neutralizer when it comes into contact with smelly, alkaline-based odors.
Odor Removing Products for the Home
The following products have proven effective at dissipating odors in homes. If these products are not enough to remove an odor, consider installing an air purification system, which removes both odors and improves air quality throughout the home.
- Biokleen’s Bac-Out Stain and Odor Remover goes beyond masking bad smells to actually eliminate odors. The biodegradable enzymatic cleaner is scent-free and effective on mildew stains, moldy scents, and pet odors. To help eliminate smells in the kitchen, use Biokleen in the sink disposal to get rid of odors that didn’t follow all of that leftover food down the drain.
- Baking soda is one of those substances that everyone knows is good to have around for cleaner air and cleaner everything. Your grandmother probably place baking soda in the refrigerator to keep it smelling fresh. This is a tried-and-true product that really works to minimize smelly odors throughout the home. Use it when vacuuming and in the washing machine to enhance other washing liquids.
- Vinegar is another pantry staple known for quick odor removal. Cleaning countertops, mopping tile floors, and dry-mopping wood floors with vinegar cleans the surface while zapping stinky smells. It also eliminates the stains and smells of perspiration, deodorizes a space when placed in a small bowl, and kills the smell of mildew in your washing machine. The vinegar odor replaces others for a short time but dissipates quickly. However, if you find the smell of vinegar offensive, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Nature’s Miracle Stain and Odor Remover is especially effective at removing pet odors. Like Biokleen, it is an enzymatic cleaner and will remove pet odors after an accident. Apply liberally.
- Ionic paint additive eliminates smells that have been sealed into your home’s walls and acts as an air purifying system to wipe out airborne odors and toxins. A single treatment lasts up to 10 years.
- Unstopables Scented Candles doesn’t eliminate odors but it does add a fresh fragrance to your home. Unstopable products include air refresher, candles, fabric refresher, in-wash scent booster, and pluggable scented oil.
The products above are great for a quick and easy solution. Another solution that will keep the air in your home clean of odors and pollutants from cigarette smoke, pet odors, odor-causing bacteria is a whole house air filtration system. Air Scrubber Plus works while your HVAC system is running. Follow this link for more information on Air Scrubber Plus.
If you have other suggestions for products you’ve used and would swear by, go to our Facebook or Twitter pages and let us know.